Monday, April 23, 2012

Me Time at Science Museum of Virginia


Do you ever go to another city, town, state, or country as a tourist, and leave, wishing you could have seen more? Often, I have that feeling.

It occurs to me as I’m flying out of Puerto Rico, that perhaps it’s not necessarily the location that I’m going to miss, but the activities – the museums, the parks, the long walks, the beach and pools, the mountains, hills, and valleys, the trolleys, trains, and buses, the restaurants, and the other tourists traipsing around with a look of wonder on their faces, snapping pictures as they “ooo” and “ahh.”
I love seeing places “the first time” and will probably always have an intense curiosity to experience these “out of town” sites; however, there is treasure and history right in my own back yard, as they say. Sooo… while my tourist adrenaline is still flowing, I plan to go to the (this link has audio) Science Museum of Virginia  while my children are at school. There is an exhibit there that I’ve wanted to see for a few months that will end in two weeks.


I wake up to clouds and drizzling rain; darkness that makes my sedentary gene say, “Get the kids off to school and get back in bed with a book and read all day.” Thankfully, my energetic gene tells me to keep moving toward the goal.
It is not easy. Everyday necessities and obligations have to be completed. Chores have to be decided upon. I have to tell myself that it is okay to go alone; that the school kids and seniors will be there to fill the massive space.

I keep moving; and at 12:25 p.m. I disembark and head toward the museum, arriving with enough time to renew my membership and to see the 1 o’clock IMAX feature, Born to Be Wild. It is so relaxing that I almost doze off watching the orphaned orangutans and elephants.

When the film is over, 40 minutes later, I go to my originally planned destination, the exhibit: RACE – Are We So Different?

Because I am alone, I stop at all the text I want to read and press all the buttons I choose to press to view all the short videos I want to see. There are no kids saying, “Mommy’s still over there reading. We’ll be here awhile.”

And because I am reading so much, I don’t see the entire exhibit. Maybe I’ll come back before it closes on April 29 – another Me Time afternoon!


I’ve categorized this post under a new label called “If Not Now, When?” I don’t think you need an explanation.  Just ask yourself the question the next time you have a desire to do something. And not always when contemplating big things that require big money, big time, and big plans; think about the little things that also provide pleasure. Enjoy your staycations and backyard treasures.


Do you put off things that you want to do, or make excuses for why you can’t? Or, are you satisfied with your personal amount of fulfillment? Have you seen all the treasures in your hometown! J

16 comments:

Mari said...

We have done several stay at home vacations and gone to the things that tourists go to in our area. There's a lot to see right around us!
I haven't gone to any exhibits on my own though, but I think it's a good idea!

Tabor said...

I was thinking about this same thing the other day. I have many little things I could do since I am retired and I want to not waste time, but I do spend too much time at the camera and the computer. My recent ankle injury slowed me down and it is getting hard to get back into the schedule mode, except I am volunteering more and to some extent regretting the time it takes. Oh well.

Betty W said...

You are so right! And I love the label. So true. That's what I said to my hubby before we went on our vacation to Natal. It was so hard to convince him, but NOW after we're back he says I was right.
Now I just need to remember that in my own country. Good for you for having that me time!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Yep, there never seems to be enough time to take in everything ya want to. I tend to over-schedule trips the way I do my life. I'm a bit spastic! Heeehehehe!

We've endured hard freezes for a week now. My roses are openin' and have been bit bad enough to curl leaves but I hope not bad enough to kill. Several years ago I lost half of my 38 roses due to a cold spell. I sure don't want to do that again.

My Crepe Myrtles (Hardy) are lookin' dark and sad this mornin' along with some other perennials...we're all weepin'!!!

I always enjoy your visits and comments sweetie!

God bless and have a great week my friend!!! :o)

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

In this case, I might not be the norm. I want to see it all but I never plan our trips. On vacation, I love to search and find. It seems to work better with my son. That way we can busy without having to worry that we are missing something.

Linda Hensley said...

Excellent thoughts, and I'm so glad you got out and enjoyed your daycation. I must be on the same wavelength because I got out twice for similar outings. Let's remember to keep getting out and experiencing new things!

Haddock said...

Like Tabor said above, spending too much time on the comp and the camera......
Its time we explored more.

Abby said...

Great reminder, Anita! I so need an excursion like yours. Time to put on the tourist hat.

I keep saying that the menfolk can handle the washwoman/cook/housekeeper duties for ONE day, but I need to make them do it. It would be good for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I really connected with your post Anita. When we lived on Saipan going anywhere off-island for a vacation became near impossible as airfare started to rise. At almost 2 grand for a RT ticket, off-island family vacations became impossible. We spent almost all of our vacations on island doing what the tourists do. We even stayed at the hotels. As a matter of fact, many of the hotels offered "local" discounts because they noticed that many local people were staying on-island for their vacations! We would spend a weekend at the Hyatt or the Mariana Resort Hotel and Spa or another nice tourist hotel. We'd eat in the restaurants, go to the gift shops and really "play" tourist. Here in Japan we do the same thing. Even around town - I take my camera with me everywhere I go!

Rob-bear said...

Sadly, I put off a lot of things I would like to do. There are only so many hours in the day, and since I use more of them sleeping, I have less time for other things. Like blogging.

Lots of things to still see here in River City. By time I've visited all the places, they'll all have new shows and features, so I'll have to start all over again.

Thoughtful post. Thank you.

fsmum said...

Great post that has made me feel guilty about all the things that are on my doorstep here in Dublin City that I have not made the effort to see.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Hello, and thank you for liking my comment, on another blog... And coming over to my blog... And especially, for leaving a comment. :-) Comments rock!!! We meet new people, thus.

Excellent post! Don't keep putting off those little things, you want to do. The big ones are lovely to do, too. But the little ones are more easily done. Do! Do! Do! "TAKE JOY" as Tasha Tudor liked to quote!

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

Unknown said...

Very interesting to think about this. I do think we love places because of our memories there. Thanks for your comment on Jen's wedding post : )

Unknown said...

Yes, No and No. Having said this, hello! Visiting from Hilary's site! :)

Rebecca S. said...

Usually, I get these little gut feelings that I should do something. It usually occurs after something or some things trigger the idea. I'm not one to look for things to do, because I have lists and lists in the back of my mind and each item is just waiting for the right time to be done. It's great you went to see the exhibit in your own back yard and were able to spend the time in the way that you wanted.
One place I want to get to is the Great Blue Heron Reserve, which is not all that far from here...but there's no way my husband would let me go without him :)

Buckeroomama said...

Hahaha, I've been living here in HK for the past 15 years and I still have not visited all the "treasures." Definitely on my list of to-do's. :)