Monday, July 1, 2013

Cosmetic Surgery


The beige bandage on my brown face was probably noticeable to everyone whose path I’d crossed. I’d forgotten it was there until I ran into Jackie at Target.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

It took me a second or two to answer.

“Oh. Yes. This?” as I instinctively pointed to my face. “I had a growth removed; sort of like a mole. It wasn’t a spot, but it was tested anyway. They’ll give me the results next week.”

“Oh, that’s good,” Jackie responded. “You have to be careful about these things.”

“Yeah, I have a lot of them on my face. A few black people tend to get them; they’re like old age spots, I guess,” I say with a small laugh. “People think they’re freckles so I just go with it. The one that I had removed got big and my mom kept asking me when I was going to have it removed. Plus, Cindy Crawford has a big mole on her face; why can’t I have one?” I say as I laugh again.

Jackie, who is about fifteen years older than me, says, “I’m with your mother. And I’ve always thought Cindy should have had hers removed. Why would you want a lot of stuff on your face?”

Stuff on our bodies… Hmmm… Is it normal?

In most cases, it is, so why are we always changing and fixing things? I color my hair, but have yet to go under the knife, aside from having corns removed from my two pinky toes. Though I’m not one to obsess over my body, I’ll admit that there is one thing I’d change if there was a tried-and-true method, but I’ll keep that my little secret. And no, it’s not a boob job. Besides, surgeons seem to have mastered that area.

A Google search asking if plastic surgery is increasing shows numerous web sites featuring articles that say it is. Not surprising. Evidence of vanity is all throughout history. It seems that people haven’t changed, but rather our accessibility to the means to make the changes, along with advances in surgical techniques.

But, is it mostly vanity that makes us want a procedure? Heavy breasts cause back pain. Droopy eye lids can affect vision. These are valid health issues, although getting them fixed has an extra benefit of making a person look… better? What about my protruding facial growth? Honestly, it didn’t bother me as much as it bothered those who had to look at it. I became concerned when the seasonal heat arrived and worried that the sun would continue to feed it and that I’d wake up one morning with something the size of a pea sitting under my eye. Sooo, I did it. It’s gone. There’s just a tiny scar left that may or may not fade. I like the new almost original look.

A lot of teens are having surgery, too. The thought of it disturbed me until I read that much of it is to pin back ears, reshape noses, reduce breast (girls and boys) and to give symmetry to breasts. I really don’t know if I would allow my child to have any of this done if she had an inferiority complex, but can understand the empathy a parent must feel for their child.

For adults having cosmetic surgery, the strong opinions I once had, I no longer have. The reasons why people make physical choices are always going to be subjective, so I’ll just mind my own business. However, if you want to get tucked, nipped, lifted, botoxed, brotoxed, injected, suctioned, tattooed, scraped, scrubbed, tightened, enlarged, implanted, reduced—what have I missed? I’ll hope the best for you. Who knows? I might run into you at the office a few years from now when gravity is at its best. I’ll be the one in dark sunglasses.

For it? Against it? Depends on the circumstances?

16 comments:

joeh said...

It's the second face life that starts looking funky.

yonca said...

Cind Crawford got famous with that big mole, lol... and that mole named after her..Cindy Crawford Mole:)
People accept us as how we look, though. The point is if we are OK with it or not.Hugs!

Shelly said...

I think if it's to correct something that is really bothersome, then go for it. but just to try and keep looking and younger? Hmmm. I dunno-

fsmum said...

I think 'each to their own'. If cosmetic surgery is something someone really wants whether it's needed in the eyes of others or not, then it's entirely up to them, if they can afford it. Me, I have lots of things I would like to change physically about myself but I would not be willing to undergo surgery to change them! I can also think of better things to spend the money on! However in the case of the mole/growth, it's sensible to have it removed and tested with all the skin cancer cases you hear about etc

Abby said...

Cosmetic surgery certainly has its place. I'm all for it when it's for reconstruction - after mastectomy, burns, etc. There are some who take it to extremes, and I suspect they may have some psychological issues, perhaps similar to people who can't stop with the tattoos and/or piercings.

It makes me a bit sad to hear about young girls (and boys) wanting to be "perfect". Apparently, girls in Korea are all starting to look the same. Personally, I like variety, and a few "imperfections".

BUT, I'm from the "to each their own camp" too. Everyone has their reasons. I read a blog post once from a woman explaining why she got a (purely for cosmetic reasons) boob job. Not for me, but she felt she needed it.

I hope your face is feeling fine, and the growth was a harmless blemish. I have a large mole on my nose that I've considered getting removed for years. Since it's on my face, I need to have a plastic surgeon do it instead of the dermatologist. Maybe this year? My mom teases me, that if I'd moved my head a bit in the womb, the mole might have landed like Cindy Crawford's instead of on my nose!

Linda Hensley said...

I think between you and Abby, my thoughts on the topic are covered. I used to be more judgmental about plastic surgery, especially when we see stars who went too far, but as I get older I can understand why people what to "fix" things. Growing old gracefully takes willpower.

Cynthia Wilson James said...

I’m definitely against it for teens, except to correct developmental abnormalities. As far as adults, I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. I just read that cosmetic surgery such as a face lift does not last as long as I thought. Good discussion question.

Rebecca S. said...

You know who I feel for the most? Those forty-something Hollywood actresses. The pressure to look young enough the get vital parts and keep working must be enormous. Jen Aniston, Courtenay Cox, all those people my age. Yes, I feel for them. I know how hard it is to keep the weight off the mid-section, to keep the chin tight looking the legs from getting sort of flappy looking. However, while I don't blame them, someday, one of them is going to have to make a stand and say, "I'm not willing to keep adapting my body to fit some totally unrealistic preconceived notion of how women should look!"
British actresses don't seem to care so much somehow.

Stephanie said...

Oh yes, the older I get the more I understand that everyone has to make their own choices when it comes to plastic or cosmetic surgery. Well, accept for that woman who wants to BE Barbie. Too far!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I'm in the "Depends On The Circumstances Camp". :-)

Not much of a surprise, since I pretty much live in the "Depends On The Circumstances Camp". I've come to find, that it covers most things, quite nicely. Allowing for flexibility, since so many things are in flux, anyway.

Glad you had done, what you had done.

Gentle hugs,
"Auntie"

Unknown said...

I'm not satisfied at all with my look and I want to go for a facelift and a nose surgery in Toronto by Dr. Jerome Edelstein. Bullied by others and decided to do something, especially that I think I have a big nose, which is not aesthetic at all. I can't wait!

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Nice ending. You made me laugh.

Yes, it's none of our business what people do. I can't say I've never thought of going under the knife for vanity, but I haven't done so. Yet?

My partner would probably roll over in a grave if I did so. Lol

Peaches Ledwidge said...

You "under the knife" is nothing major. No one will notice.

Barb said...

I'm wondering if there is anything to be done for wrinkly old-lady arms? Find out for me will you, Anita. On the other hand, who am I trying to impress? My husband of nearly 47 years would think I was nuts. Guess I'll have to just look my age. (But maybe not act it!) Also, there's always long sleeves...

Unknown said...

Whether or not cosmetic surgery is recommended for teens is still a question. Because there is no age restrictions for taking plastic surgery, though people above 40 are mostly preferring this. Aging effects becomes more visible after 35 or 40 years which is the perfect time to undergo plastic surgery.

Unknown said...

I pretty much didn't favor some aspects of cosmetic surgery when I was younger. But time and experience have changed that. My current opinion though, is that a person has every right to do things that can make them feel good about themselves, as long as they're not hurting others in the process. I've seen cosmetic surgery throughout the years, and just with everything conceived by the brilliance of man, I've seen it mature into something that not only focuses on the aesthetics of the human body, but also on the benefits on holistic healthcare. Maybe some of the trend can be attributed to that, don't you think?

Alejandro @ CosMed Clinic