Friday, September 25, 2009

Field Hockey Family


I'm a field hockey mom! Hayley, my thirteen year old eighth grader, made the high school JV team.

Seemingly out of the blue, she developed an interest in the sport at the end of seventh grade. Paperwork in hand, she announced “her” plans for “our” summer - a week of field hockey camp in July and tryouts in August. And then, making the team lead right into Monday thru Friday practices for the rest of August.

After a few bumps in the road, we made adjustments to accommodate her new schedule. Now, we proudly watch her play this sport that I played a week or two in sixth grade, inside my elementary school’s gymnasium, in the cold state of Michigan – which means I know little about field hockey. But after attending four games and listening to veteran moms and dads cheer and coach from the sidelines, my husband and I are beginning to learn some of the dos and don’ts.

I’m seeing another dimension of my daughter. She’s a real team player and team bonding sorta girl. Her personality is broadening. I like seeing her commitment, which for me translates into being an adult who is a responsible employee or entrepreneur, i.e. working successfully and happily, and “living on her own!”

How have sports been a benefit to your child/children and family?

6 comments:

Abby said...

Hello Anita!

Thanks for stopping by my running blog. From perusing your blog and profile, looks like we have quite a bit in common. I've enjoyed my visit and will definitely be back!

I've been a stay-at-home mom for what seems like forever, and have just recently started working a "real" job. Our 3 kids are around the same ages as yours, except they're boys, not girls.

I don't know how much or how long you've been doing the running thing, but welcome to the madness!

andrea said...

You're so lucky yours are interested in sports! My older three did taekwondo for a while but lost interest. The only sports my 12-year-old son likes is watching football on TV. I think playing a team sport really benefits a child.

Anita said...

ABBY, thanks for saying hello! You're right, we do have things in common. I think I saw that you were an engineer - I was a computer programmer for many years. I'll have to check out your other blog too. Maybe you'll talk about your transition back out into the "jungle." :)

I am not a long distance runner; my first and only 10k was in March. Maybe when my kids get a little more self sufficient in the mornings, I'll try to run longer distances. HA! I think I actually believe what I just said!

Thanks for welcoming me to the madness, because it is indeed, addictive. :)

Anita said...

ANDREA, I could almost imagine the tone of your voice when you mentioned your twelve year watching football on TV. :)

We try to mold them as best we can, but sometimes they pop right back into the shape they were in.

You never know what's ahead, though.

the mom said...

I've heard horseback riding gives good future career skills. Just that I find it too expensive and dangerous (I did it myself).
I hope my kids will be involved with some kind of after school activity during their teen years, distracting them from less good activities.
What do your younger daughters do?

Anita said...

THE MOM, So far, none of the kids are asking to ride horses and I'm glad about that. It would be very expensive for me and my three daughters to take weekly lessons. But if one decides that she is very interested, I will consider it. Yor're right, it is a sport that can be dangerous. I am VERY careful and obedient to my instructor. :)
All my girls take piano lessons. One of them is in a strings class at school. She plays violin.
My youngest likes art, but I haven't found any convenient after school art programs yet. It's okay though...we are busy enough with homework, and other things. Oh, and the youngest takes a class at church one night a week too. Whew!